My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Monday, July 28, 2014

Walk It Out 2014

Mile Marker 1900:

Treadmills hum with patients, former patients, therapists, family, and friends.  We hop on and off.   Harness and unharness.  Cheer and cheer!

It's a 24-hour Step-A-Thon to benefit Magee's Locomotor Training (LT) Program and the Reeve NeuroRecovery Network.

Magee's slogan is BELIEVE.  And today, it's impossible not to!


I take to the treadmill at 9:30 a.m, keeping a steady pace of 3.2 m.p.h.  Mom and Dad watch from the sidelines.


Ernie is my "buddy" on the LT machine.


And Mark takes over when I need a break.



This year is different from last year's Walk It Out.  In fact, I don't even blink when my socket comes loose after 25 minutes!  (That's right... I just expect it by now!)

This year, I'm thrilled to be walking, but I'm even more excited to watch my friends!

As I take a seat to pull off my sweaty prosthesis, my friend Matt straps on his harness and hoists himself onto the LT machine.  Three PTs surround him:  one at his hips and two at his legs.  A fourth PT uses a computer to adjust the weight on his harness.  The treadmill rolls.

MATT WALKS!!!


We've been pals for a while, but I've never seen him WALK before!

Usually in the wellness center, Matt rides the stim bike while I walk or row next to him.   But this is AMAZING!


Last year, Walk It Out coincidentally marked my 1000th Mile.  This year -- though I can hardly believe it -- it paves the home stretch toward Mile 2000.

After all this time, the phrase "Walk It Out" still keeps me going.   Some days, it simply gets me out of bed.  Other days, it takes me farther than I ever thought possible.

And speaking of farther, friends Robert and Binal traveled to Philly just for this event!  Last winter, they moved to New York for a study to improve Robert's muscle control and gait.  As he climbs onto the treadmill today, I'm bouncing with anticipation!

Last year, Robert walked supported by the LT harness.  Today, he will walk on a standard treadmill, 100% on his own.  If anyone can make this LEAP, Robert can!

BELIEVE IT!

I can barely capture the story of all that happens in this small workout room at Magee Rehabilitation Hospital.

Go Susan!
As the fundraiser rolls on, more of my friends continue to defy odds.

It looks like magic, but we all know the sweat, pain, and tears that have poured into our journeys.

Today, of course, there are only smiles.  We're celebrating.  WALKING TO VICTORY!

Go Charmaine and Jeff!

So after 24 hours (and 1,900 miles) what's left to do?

Just BELIEVE...
We do!

Check out the video!
https://my1000miles.shutterfly.com/pictures/80

Thanks to Charmaine, Binal, Robert, and Magee for the extra photos.  Thanks to Dad for the videos.  And thanks to everyone for the INSPIRATION and SUPPORT!  

BELIEVE!

2 comments:

  1. There's a lot of great news in this post! Congrats on 2000, and thanks for posting Robert's amazing progress and all the other wonderful work done by patients and caregivers both. Inspiring as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual great BLOG. John thanks! Rebecca thank you, you are amazing with how you can translate life into an incredible story with just a few pictures & a couple of paragraph. It a gift and another amazing way you inspire me to keep going. Thank you for your BLOG and how you live your life. Robert & Binal

    ReplyDelete